Sunday, March 30, 2008

1895 - Going Professional - Honus Wagner Biography

Making His Professional Debut: Steubenville

Honus Wagner made his professional debut on April 20th, 1895 playing for Steubenville. His team won an exhibition game against Holy Ghost College where he batted seventh, had two hits in his five at bats (a single and a double), stole a base, and played right field. Honus won accolades for his play in the outfield. According to The Steubenville Star:
"[A fly ball hit to Honus was] like knocking a ball into a well ... as he is sure death to any fly that goes into his territory."
The season officially started on May 2nd and Honus went one for six with a three-run home run in a 29-11 victory over Canton. He was signed as a pitcher and utility outfielder for Steubenville and spent most of his playing time rotating between the two positions. Honus made his first appearance as a pitcher on May 7th where he went two innings, gave up a walk, and had four strikeouts. According to owner George L. Moreland:
"Wagner ... is a young blood with an arm on him like one of Rusie's and speed as great." (Amos Rusie was one of the National League's most dominant pitchers having won 30 or more games in the last four years and leading the league in strikeouts in four of the the last five years.)
The club, however, was unable to attract a sizeable audience and Moreland decided to move the team to Akron when local businessmen agreed to pay Moreland $500 in cash, buy 50 season tickets, and use Buchtel College (which had multiple train lines and easy access for fans to commute to) if he moved from Steubenville. Akron also had three times the population of Steubenville so it was an easy decision for Moreland to make. The Akron squad played its first game in the new city on May 13th. Honus played left field, batted sixth, and had two doubles and a home run. However, the stay in Akron would be short-lived. On May 18th Moreland could not make payroll and the team disbanded.

The Move To Mansfield

Eager to find new work and continue his life as a professional baseball player, Honus signed with Mansfield and his brother Al, whom he played with in Steubenville-Akron, went to play with Canton. Honus' first game with Mansfield was on May 20th where he was positioned at shortstop. In17 games with Mansfield he had a .387 batting average. Unfortunately, three weeks after his arrival, the Inter State League, which Mansfield and Canton belonged to, folded.

The Move To Adrian

Both Honus and brother Al were again looking for new teams to play for. Al found a spot with Warren, a team in the Iron & Oil League, while Honus went to play with the Adrian Demons of the Michigan State League for $50 per month. He made his debut on June 20th where he played second base and got two hits in a 12-11 victory over Owosso. According to The Adrian Daily Times:
"Some of the ground stops he made were handsome plays in every respect. He is undoubtedly a strong point on our team."
The Move To Warren

Honus went on to bat .386 in 16 games and helped Adrian move into first place. On July 6th, however, Honus felt homesick and left Adrian to sign with his brother Al's team in Warren. He was given a roster spot and was offered $35 per month. He took the deal. According to Honus:
"I got homesick after a few weeks. Most of the boys from home were playing with the Warren team in the old Iron & Oil League, and I joined the same team."
The jump to Warren reunited him with his brother Al as well as other hometown friends like Claude Ritchey and Toots Barrett. Honus went on to play 26 games for Warren, hit over .300, and spent time at the third base and right field positions. His season was cut short, however, after running for a train, falling on a fence, and creating a painful gash in his right arm that required several stitches and took him out of the lineup for three weeks.

A week after Honus returned to the team, the Iron & Oil League began to fall apart as four of the eight teams folded. The league decided that first place Warren should face off against second place Wheeling for a seven game series to determine the overall champion. Honus went 8 for 29 but Wheeling, managed by Edward Barrow, won the series.

An Uncertain Future

Honus' year ended on September 12th when Warren went out of business and payed their players for the last time. In 1895, Honus Wagner played for five different teams in three states and three leagues. He played every position on the field except catcher and he also pitched.

Unsure of what lay ahead for his baseball career, Honus returned home to Carnegie to spend time with his friends and family. He was soon visited by his Steubenville manager George Moreland. Moreland was asked to visit Honus on behalf of William Kerr, the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Kerr wanted Honus to play for him in the 1896 season and offered him a $100 a month contract. Honus later discovered that Kerr wanted to send him to the Kansas City minor league team. Having experienced life on the road in Adrian, Honus decided not to sign as he wished to stay with a team that was close to home. According to Honus:
"I'd much rather stay here at home with my dogs and go hunting than to go way out there and be lost. Unless I went to Kansas City, Mr. Kerr didn't want me. So that ended that. I went home and hunted and fished some more."
With his baseball future in question, Honus returned his life of hunting and fishing, hoping a new opportunity would present itself for the next season.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,